Monday, July 25, 2011

Depth, Depth, Depth

Sometime last week - I think it was Monday but can't remember for sure - I headed to Discovery Park for a sunny evening. The fireweed were in their prime, although the tops of some of the stalks looked a bit beaten down by recent rainfall. This first one is probably my favorite, because you can see the Puget Sound in the background. I could have made the water a bit more prominent in the composition, but still, I think it works.


I took a few others of fireweed, desiring primarily to give a sense of the depth and perceived enormity of a blooming fireweed stand when you are standing in or next to it. In nature photography, a sense of depth is one of the most important compositional elements to have, and I think I did a decent job this evening of capturing it (sometimes I don't...).





I also took some pictures of a couple other favorite flower types, everlasting pea and yarrow. I'm not convinced whether I like the one of the yarrow (the second in this sequence). It's a bit busy/cluttered, and all the interesting parts are too confined to the right half of the frame. It was the best one I took, though. Maybe I should have tried the picture with a vertical orientation.


No comments: