Saturday, March 08, 2014

Discovering Spring

Spring has sprung in Discovery Park!

It was a bit breezy, and intermittently sunny (it was midday, so the sunlight wasn't very helpful), but I was still able to squeeze out a few decent images in my limited time there yesterday. The first is of some opening leaves on a shrub of some kind - red elderberry, probably. I also tried setting the focus point on the tip of the leaf closest to the lens; I liked the focus point better, however, at the point where it is in the image below. I opened up the lens as wide as I could at that focusing distance - f/4.2 - to achieve maximum isolation, and also to minimize my shutter speed, as the subject matter kept quivering in the wind.


The next two images are of Indian plum flowers. For the first one, I selected a bush that had leafed out enough to make the background green rather than brown or splotchy. I was attracted to the way the two leaves framed the flower in the center. F/5.


This one is okay; I'm a bit bothered by the obtrusiveness of the circles in the background. Still, it's a decent realization of a tricky concept - photographing Indian Plum flowers looking up at an almost inevitably busy forest background. F/5; I could have gone a bit narrower, but I didn't want to lose too much detail on the flower in the foreground.


In addition to Indian plum, a favorite spring event of mine is the budding and blooming of red-flowering currant (Ribes sanguineum). This image was taken at f/3.8 to achieve maximum isolation of the front in-focus buds.


Below are the same buds from a different angle. In this case, I used f/6.3 to preserve some of the top leaves' shape.


These buds, I think, are on a willow of some kind. The colors aren't very saturated, which is unusual for a JPEG from my camera. Hmm. I used f/13 to increase detail in the blurred buds on the second branch.


No comments: