Friday, March 28, 2014

Drizzle Fun

I went on Thursday morning's photo adventure with a bit of trepidation because a rather hard drizzle was coming down at first ("hard drizzle"…would one use that term anywhere else? Here in the Puget Sound area we have not only drizzle but levels of drizzle).

The first two compositions use a concept that I actually dreamed up as I was driving toward Boeing Creek Park - I thought of photographing Indian plum leaves and juxtaposing them against their forest surroundings; the drizzle would leave lots of nice, attractive raindrops to sweeten the deal. Below are my results; I used f/9 and f/13, respectively, to preserve recognizable detail in the background while still blurring it. My sense is that the first composition is the more interesting of the two, but I posted both.



The next one features some wet leaves; I am not aware of what kind. When and if they produce flowers I might be able to figure it out. But I am surprisingly lazy about making specific IDs of plants, particularly plants that do not happen to be flowering when I photograph them. Maybe that's something I should change. Anyway, I used f/3.2 to maximize background blur.


The next two images feature a view across Boeing Creek's ravine toward some rather large Douglas fir trunks. Among other things, the large Douglas fir scattered throughout Boeing Creek Park make the park a rare gem in an urban area. The first looks at the two trees through hemlock branches; I used f/7.1 to blur the branches somewhat. The second looks at them straight on.



No comments: