Friday, April 25, 2014

Spring Break, Pt 2: Lighthouse Point

Let's look at some flowers! Today's post comes courtesy of Lighthouse Point in Deception Pass State Park.

We'll start things off with a fawn lily. Unfortunately, I neglected to take a look at the leaves, so I can't precisely identify the species at the moment. I used f/10 because I wanted the background flower to be discernible.


This second plant is one I haven't identified yet. It's only a few inches high and appears sporadically in the meadows. To achieve this perspective, I wasn't able to use a tripod, not even my little one; I had to put my camera on the ground, which resulted in my lens being just a couple inches above it, enabling this straight-on perspective. I don't really like the white sky that shows up in the upper right, but it's not too large an area, and the perspective helps make up for it. I used f/16, because I thought that detail in the background leaves and flowers would help enhance that perspective.


Below is a flower that I believe belongs to kinnikinnick (or "bearberry"). I used f/7.1; I would have liked to go wider, because more background blur would have been better, but only f/7.1 gave me enough detail on the foreground flower.


Below is camas, a ubiquitous presence in the meadows of Deception Pass State Park; the yellow spots in the background are buttercups. I liked how the sunlight coming from behind the foreground flower lit up its petals. In this case, I used f/3.8 to isolate that flower.


Here is camas again; I really liked the evening light and wanted to use it in an image that had the approaching rainclouds in the background; the sun at this point was just above them. This was my best composition out of all the ones I tried with this idea. I used f/5.6, which is as wide as I can get with my wide lens, to blur the background and isolate the foreground flower.


Finally, baby pinecones! I believe these belong to Douglas fir. For the first one, I used f/4 to blur the background as much as possible. For the second one, I decided f/5.6 would be a better choice.



This last image comes from the forest on Lighthouse Point. The new shoots in the foreground belong to salal. I used f/11 to preserve some forest context, specifically the cedar trunk in the background. This image represented a bit of patient, because I had to wait for some drifting clouds to cover the sun before I could take it.


Stay tuned for more coming soon from Deception Pass State Park!

No comments: