Thursday, June 23, 2016

Stuart Lake

I recently made a brief foray into Alpine Lakes Wilderness on the Stuart Lake trail. While I would have needed a permit to backpack in the area, day hiking is allowed if one fills out a little form at the trailhead. I chose the Stuart Lake trail because it seemed a good match for my current level of physical fitness. A month ago, I probably wouldn't have been able to handle even that. But thanks to more frequent walking and hiking, as well as some trips to the gym, I'm getting there. The trail itself is pleasant enough and not too rocky. There are some stretches that aren't so scenic, but the highlights definitely make up for it.

We'll start with the view from a clearing a few miles in, with some aspen trees in the foreground. I believe that the peak on the left is Argonaut Peak, with Sherpa Peak on the right. This was actually the second time I tried photographing this particular viewpoint. On the way up, the lighting was more contrasty and the aspen trunks were shaded at this angle. But on my way back down the trail, the sunlight fell on the aspen trunks, accentuating them more; additionally, the sunshine was more filtered, resulting in a more even exposure.


Here is a different composition of the same view, with more emphasis on the mountains.


Stuart Lake itself also has some nice views. Here's a view across the lake through some granite. I used f/22 to get both the granite and the lake/mountains in focus.


Finally, a view from early in the trail. I think this might be Mount Stuart itself. The sunlight was filtered a bit at the moment; even so, the highlights got a bit blown out. Not irreparably so, however.


I found some new wildflowers! The first is yellow or golden columbine, Aquilegia flavescens. I only noticed it on one spot along the trail, and I'm glad it caught my eye. F/3.8.


Next is what I believe to by showy Jacob's ladder, Polemonium pulcherrimum. F/3.8.


Finally, I believe these are pinedrops (Pterospora andromedea). I found these beside my campsite at Eightmile Campground. F/3.3.


Lastly, here are a couple views of Icicle Creek from Eightmile Campground, where I spent the night. They have an excessively bluish cast due to the fact that they were taken under clear skies, but that'll be easy enough to deal with. The highlight of the first is what I believe to be sulfur buckwheat, Erigonum umbellatum; the highlight of the second is an impressive ponderosa pine trunk.



No comments: