Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Spring Break part 2 - Scablands

After visiting the Columbia Gorge, I spent some time hiking around Hog and Fishtrap lakes near Spokane - a quite different environment, on the transition between the pine forests of the Spokane area and the drier Columbia Plateau. I don't know that my results here were as interesting as those from the Gorge, but the greenness of the open areas and the stark cliffs around the lake still helped me get a few decent images - from Hog Lake, that is. I wasn't pleased with my results from the Fishtrap area and won't be posting any.

Below is probably my most dramatic composition involving Hog Lake itself. F/22.


The next image shows another interesting feature of the terrain around Hog Lake, as well as elsewhere in the Channelled Scablands near Spokane - the contrast between dry sagebrush vegetation and the lush growth around ponds, lakes, and wetlands. The trees in the background are primarily aspen. F/22.


Below are three more compositions with Hog Lake itself. The first shows a golden currant (Ribes aureum) in bloom. F/22 in all cases.





Finally, a view of the nearby waterfall. I don't find this composition all that thrilling, although some work on lighting and contrast might save it. F/22.



No comments: