Thursday, April 27, 2017

Spring Break part 3 - Kamiak Butte

I spent the third part of my travels in the Palouse region of Washington. My big destination was Kamiak Butte County Park, north of Pullman. The flowers are late there this year due to the cold and wet weather this winter and spring. The upshot of my visit, however, was a profusion of early flowers such as grass widow in the meadows and trillium and lilies in the forests.

First, two landscapes showing the abundant grass widow (Olsynium douglasii) on the ridge and around the summit. F/22 in both cases.



Next, some flower closeups. First is Pacific trillium, Trillium ovatum. F/3.5.


Next is a lily, probably Erythronium grandiflorum. F/5.6.


Finally, a paintbrush just beginning to bloom (genus Castilleja). F/6.3.


Next is another closeup, not of a flower but some new growth on what I think is western meadowrue, Thalictrum occidentale. F/3.8.


Finally, a couple more experimental shots. The first is a forest-floor view of some new growth, which I photographed with my wide lens (F/5.3). The second shows opening arrowleaf balsamroot (Balsamorhiza sagittata) with the colors of the Palouse in the background for a tonal and horizontal contrast (F/11).



That's all for now. Here's hoping for more fun adventures this spring and summer!

No comments: