Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Peninsula Trip 3: Hurricane Ridge

For the final post about my trip to the Olympic Peninsula, I'll be sharing images from near the Hurricane Ridge Visitor Center. Great views are available with minimal walking, making the area a good option for dawn/sunrise photography.

First, the meadows by the visitor center. F/22. This image took some doing - I tried this composition the first morning, only to be stymied by the wind (I couldn't get the lupine sharp). The second, morning, however, I tried again, and was able to succeed quickly due to the much calmer conditions.


The next two are from a nearby picnic area at sunrise. The first is looking at what I believe to be Mount Ferry on the left end Stephen Peak on the right. The second looks over the Elwha River valley. F/20 in both cases.



The next two images are from near Sunrise Point, north of the visitor center. I liked the way the sunlight was shafting through the hills. F/22 in both cases.



Finally, magenta paintbrush, probably Castilleja parviflora var. olympica, a subspecies endemic to the Olympics. I'm not sure whether I like the bright background, but it was a sunny day, and there wasn't much I could do about it. F/4.


No comments: