Monday, July 24, 2017

North Cascades part 2: Landscapes

Here are the landscapes from my recent trip. I was blessed with fairly good conditions for photography - some clouds in and out, and frequent lulls in the breeze.

Maple Pass Loop

Here's the classic view of the area, looking down through heather meadows to Lake Ann. There's a bit of perspective distortion here, due to the wide focal length and downward angle, but I think this composition lends itself relatively well to that. F/20.


Next, some paintbrush and penstemon with Lake Ann in the background. F/22.


Same deal here, with cow parsnip as the featured flower. F/22.


One more lake shot, with a wider array of flowers in the foreground. F/16.


Next is a view from near Maple Pass, looking into the national park. F/18. The views up here are unreal. Plus, you can watch the orographic effect in action: looking to the southwest, I could see showers drifting in and out through green, snowy mountains (as in this image). Looking in the other direction, I watched the clouds breaking up over much drier-looking peaks.


Here is another scene near Maple Pass, downhill on the steep side. I like how things are placed in the image, but the perspective distortion is quite visible in the trees. I might be able to correct some of this via Lightroom, but I'm not sure how much. Perhaps a square crop would lessen this problem by eliminating the more highly distorted trees on the right-hand side, but square images aren't as versatile. F/22.


Blue Lake

Finally, two views of Blue Lake, accessible via a comparatively short and gentle trail. F/22 in both cases. I'll have to brighten up the left side of the first one, but it'll probably be doable.



No comments: