Monday, January 27, 2020

First Photography Snowshoe

On Saturday, I did my first-ever photography snowshoe! My destination was the Cooper River trail, starting from the road closure on the Salmon La Sac Road. It seemed easy enough on paper, and I've been here in the summer, when the Cooper River trail is an easy hike. But warming temperatures on Saturday made for slick, heavy snow and a surprisingly difficult experience. I suppose that created a good opportunity to test my snowshoes, though, which I think performed fairly well.

Here are two views of trees adorned with both lichen and snow; I am not sure which I like better. The first is moodier, has a more open feel, and has a clearer view of distant trees. The second has better depth and places more emphasis on the lush forest. F/14 and F/18, respectively.



Next, a view over the Cle Elum River from a bridge near the Salmon La Sac Campground. I like the overall impression of this picture: the hazy trees in the background, the river at bottom, and the pop of color from a ponderosa pine trunk at right. The foreground branches at far left really aren't visually interesting as a foreground, in my opinion, but I wanted to add some depth and didn't have a lot of choice. F/14.


I am looking forward to snowshoeing again!

No comments: