Saturday, January 04, 2020

Orcas Island

Just after the holidays, I took a short trip to Orcas Island. I was burdened with a cold and sleepy after the holidays, but I managed to get outside for photography each day I was on the island. There is a lot to see there; Moran State Park alone is extensive enough to make you forget that you're on an island, with waterfalls, old-growth forests, meadows, views, and lots of hiking trails. I can't wait to go back.

Mount Constitution

When I told people that I was going to Orcas Island, I heard about the view from the top of Mount Constitution (in Moran State Park), accessible by vehicle. I did indeed visit the area, and the view lived up to the hype. Mount Baker is right in your face, as are other islands in the area, and you can see north to the mountains of Canada and south to Mount Rainier. Here are my two best images from the summit, with Mount Baker in the distance. F/14 for both of these compositions.



Next, an image from a viewpoint a short distance down a hiking trail from the summit, again with Mount Baker in the distance (on the left). Due to the wider angle, there is more distortion and loss of image quality on the sides of the image. But I like how this composition highlights some of the topography of Orcas Island itself. F/16.


Rustic Falls

Earlier that same morning, I did some photography at Rustic Falls, also in Moran State Park. My planned destination was the larger and better-known Cascade Falls, but - surprise plot twist - the sun was shining, and the sunlit highlights of the falls proved too bright for the camera to handle. Thankfully, I had stopped at the better-shaded Rustic Falls on my way. I thought the fallen tree over the creek was an interesting visual element. F/14, 4 seconds, for both of these compositions.



Turtleback Mountain

On the other side of Orcas Island is the Turtleback Mountain Preserve; I hiked the Ship Peak Loop, a short jaunt up to Garry oak groves and open meadows with excellent views. Here's an image from the trail, with a Garry oak in the foreground and Pacific madrone (or madrona) trees just beyond. F/14.


1 comment:

Colleen H said...

These pics take my breath away. I love the mountain views and rustic falls.