Monday, March 16, 2020

Skookum Flats

Many of you in the area probably experienced our little late-winter cold snap last weekend; some lowland locations (Enumclaw, for instance) even got a dusting of snow. This inspired me to seek out some snow to hike in and photograph. I found it at Skookum Flats, just off Highway 410. It's a lovely trail that mostly travels through old-growth forest, with opportunities to view the White River and the hillsides beyond.

First, a view of the White River (or, at least, a channel of it), which I accessed via a well-defined side trail. I liked the way the snow followed the contours of the rocks on the river banks. F/16.


Second, a composition contrasting the white of the snow with the rich ever-present colors of moss and evergreen trees. F/18.


Third, a wide view of the White River. There's no close foreground here, so this image isn't my best example of depth. But I like the sense of open space, and the blurred water in the lower third. F/16, 1/2 second.


Finally, a view through the forest. The foreground trees aren't quite as visually compelling as I had imagined them, but I like the sense of depth and scale. F/14.


No comments: