Sunday, March 22, 2020

Adventures in Sunshine and Social Distancing

Yesterday's blue skies inspired me to seek out some mountain views. To find them, I visited the Big Four Ice Caves area, just up the closed section of the Mountain Loop Highway. The bridge over the South Fork Stillaguamish River has been removed, rendering the final section of trail inaccessible, but there is plenty of good scenery in the vicinity of the picnic area and the river. I've had success with this area as a late-winter destination in the past.

Inspired by my quiet days on the Baker River and Skookum Flats hikes recently, I also hoped for another photography outing that would conform to social-distancing guidelines. Although the morning was very quiet, I saw increasing numbers of people in the afternoon, and cars were lining the road when I left (with more arriving every minute!). Thankfully, the combination of the closed road and the widespread snowpack meant that there was plenty of space for me to ensure a safe distance from other hiking parties.

There was still a great deal of snow remaining, particularly in the shaded areas, but I dressed too warmly for the occasion. By 11am, I was sweating in my snow gear. Spring is here!

First, a view of Big Four from near the picnic area. F/14.


Next, a nearby view of what I think is Stillaguamish Peak, with a red alder tree in the foreground. F/14.


Here is the South Fork Stillaguamish River, near the removed bridge. I was nervous about the contrast on this one, but managed to avoid overexposure. F/14, 1/15 of a second.


Next, a view of what I believe to be Hall Peak. One fun aspect of winter is the opening up of views like this; much less of the peak will be visible in the summer. F/14.


Finally, two more views of Big Four through trees. I think I like the horizontal one better, since it gives more of a sense of the terrain's contours. Both F/14.



That's all for today! Stay safe and healthy!

No comments: