Thursday, May 06, 2021

First Camp of 2021

The first camping trip of 2021 is in the books! I spent two chilly but dry nights at Deception Pass State Park, and enjoyed some sunshine during the daytime. I love visiting at this time of spring, when the meadows are full of wildflowers. I also enjoyed exploring the West Beach area for the first time. The beach itself is scenic and spacious, and the interpretive trail through the sand dunes is an informative and unusual walk.

My favorite shot from the trip is this one of sea blush (Plectritis congesta) on Goose Rock. F/6.3.

Next, camas (Camassia quamash) blooming at the top of Goose Rock. I'd prefer the camas flowers were a bit bigger in the frame, but I think this still works. F/6.3.


Below, paintbrush (genus Castilleja), also near the top of Goose Rock. I'm guessing these are harsh paintbrush (Castilleja hispida). F/5.

The wildflowers definitely stole the show, but I did try my hand at some landscapes as well. First, a view of Cranberry Lake's wetlands from the West Beach sand dunes area. I liked the way the blue of the sky was so clearly reflected in the wetlands. F/16.

Lastly, a view toward North Beach from near the bridge, with a madrone tree in the foreground. I like the sense of space and distance in this one, but wish the color of the water had come through even more clearly. F/18.

I tried taking some pictures of the waves and rocks at West Beach, but wasn't happy with them. I think the issue was that the shutter speed I ended up using was a poor middle ground - not fast enough to sharply freeze the water's motion, but not long enough to create an interesting blur. Lesson (hopefully) learned for next time!

No comments: