Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Mother's Day Waterfalls

On Mother's Day, my girlfriend and I took my mom to the Boulder River trail, a favorite spot of mine. It's especially nice in the spring, when the leaves are bright green and the waterfalls are full. I'm also a big fan of hiking in old-growth forests, and there are plenty of huge trees to gawk at here. My mom had said she wanted to see water on her Mother's Day hike, and the Boulder River trail certainly delivers!

I brought my camera along, of course, and took some pictures during our waterfall stops. First, what is perhaps the most unique and interesting image from the hike, featuring salmonberry flowers (Rubus spectabilis) and a waterfall a few miles in. Thankfully, the winds were light; any sort of a breeze would have ruined this shot. F/16, 0.5 seconds.


Next, a shot of the Boulder River and the iconic double waterfall earlier along the trail. I like how the blue-green color of the water comes through clearly here. F/16, 1.3 seconds.


Finally, two shots of the double waterfall through trees. They're similar to each other, and to the first shot from my trip here in the spring of 2018, but with enough differences to be worth considering. The first image below is more aesthetically balanced than the second or the 2018 one, and would look the best in a smaller form (like a greeting card or a postcard). The second isn't quite as harmonious, but it's interesting. Come to think of it, it's also a spring-summer variation on the second image in this post from January 2019.



It's always fun to revisit a favorite location and try to find new perspectives on it, or to improve on earlier photographs. Here's hoping that this spring and summer, I will see more favorite places!

No comments: