Wednesday, May 26, 2021

Snoquera and Skookum

Last weekend, I did two hikes in one day: Snoquera Falls and Skookum Flats near Enumclaw. Between the falls, old trees everywhere, river views, and some interesting terrain, there's a lot to see in the area. Even so, I didn't walk away with many good pictures; the waterfall was more challenging to photograph than I thought it might be, the sunshine was bright later in the day, and I was trying to cover a lot of ground. First, the only image from the day that I'm really happy with, a view of Snoquera Falls framed by an old Douglas fir. The falls ended up a bit small in the frame, but I think there's enough going on in the composition to make it all come together. F/18, 2 seconds.

After the image above, I tried another shot of the falls from a more direct vantage point, framed by trees. The composition turned out well, but the breeze coming off the falls made too many of the branches blurry. Furthermore, the color and lighting contrast in the image as a whole weren't sufficient to be interesting. There is a way to scramble up closer to the falls, but it looked a bit too steep and slippery to do comfortably with my gear; a hiking group there ahead of us slid a bit.

I don't like writing a post with just two images, so here's a shot of the White River from the Skookum Flats trail, with an alder tree in the foreground.This picture isn't great in any way, but it's pleasant enough, and gives a good sense of some of the river views you get from the trail. F/18.


No comments: