Monday, January 30, 2023

Grand Ridge, south side

As I suggested I might, I recently returned to Grand Ridge Park to hike some of the trails that I didn't reach last time, starting from the south side. I think I prefer the trails I hiked a couple weeks ago - the north side of the park feels a bit wilder, the forest seems just slightly older and more diverse, and you're farther from buildings and road noise. I still enjoyed the trails on the south side, though. 

First, detail on a trunk (alder, I think). I used my macro lens for this, which I'm trying to use more often on subjects other than spring florals. I didn't get close enough to consider this true "macro" or close-up photography, but the more intimate perspective is still nice. F/6.3.

Next, a forest shot that does a good job of depicting both the day's fog and the varied winter colors visible in the forest. F/14.

Here's one with a similar concept. I like the depth created by the foreground trunk at left, but the image overall is busier than the one above and ultimately less compelling. F/16.

Lastly, an interesting view through some mossy trunks. Due to the higher lighting contrast here, and the wide depth of field I needed, the detail quality suffered just a bit. The sense of depth is effective, though. F/18.


No comments: