Tuesday, January 03, 2023

New Year at Coal Creek

For my first hike of the new year, I went to the Coal Creek trail near Bellevue. I hadn't been there for several years, but I'm glad I returned, because it's a pretty solid urban hike - there are some sections that look feel much more secluded than I'd expect given the trail's proximity to developed areas (although the housing developments surrounding the park are more extensive than they were on my last visit). The forest is all second growth, and there are some areas that are pretty well taken over by invasive plants like blackberry, but there's lots of lush, photogenic forest as well, and there are numerous opportunities to see Coal Creek and other small streams. I'm contemplating a return visit in early spring, when salmonberry and Indian plum are starting to bloom.

First, my favorite image of the day, of a waterfall visible from the Primrose Loop trail. I liked the way that trees were framing it. Due to a slight breeze, I never got a shot in which all of the branches were perfectly still, but the one below is pretty close and good enough. F/18, 5 seconds.

Next, Coal Creek itself, with mossy branches in the foreground. I like the selective-focus effect here, although I wish the background trees were just a bit more distinct. F/8.

Here's a look at Coal Creek with a wider depth of field. It's a bit busy, but I like the sense of proximity to the foreground trunks. F/18, 10 seconds.

Next, a more distant view of Coal Creek. Looking at it now, I don't know that the creek is as prominent in the composition as I'd like, but I like the sense of depth and distance. F/16.

Finally, some lush forest along the trail. I'm always happy when I can get winter shots with some good color like this one. I'm not sure what the orange color on the cottonwood trunk at right comes from, but it makes the image a bit more interesting. F/18.

Moving away from Coal Creek, as an aside, I was recently at Camano Island State Park, just before the new year. While I didn't get enough good images there to merit a separate post, I do like the image below, of a marshy area near the beaches. The subtle reflections and the colorful madrone trunks are the highlight for me. I would have liked to choose a vantage point closer to some of the cattail plants, for a more striking foreground, but tidal flooding in the area limited my options. F/16.

All for now. Happy New Year!

No comments: