Thursday, January 19, 2023

Winter Color at Grand Ridge

Last weekend, I visited Grand Ridge Park near Issaquah. I had been there several years ago doing some volunteer trail work for the Washington Trails Association, but had never been on an actual hike. It's an impressive park - I got at least 7-8 miles of hiking in, part of which was on a loop, and there is still a good portion of the park that I didn't see. Scenically, second-growth forest parks like this one can be a bit hit-or-miss, but rolling terrain, variation in forest type, and little creeks and wetlands kept things interesting. I also got lucky with very calm winds throughout the day.

I've wanted to do more close-up photography of non-floral subjects, as I've mentioned in my year-in-review posts. Below, moss and bark patterns on a cedar trunk. It's different from my usual fare, and I like the vivid colors. F/5.

The forests of Grand Ridge Park aren't really what I would consider old-growth, but there are some groves of decently large trees, especially cedars. Here are two such spots, both photographed at F/18.


One more forest scene, this one looking a bit more obviously wintry. F/18.

That's all for now, but I'm excited to go back sometime soon and explore the rest of the park!

No comments: