Sunday, June 12, 2011

Lupine - not just for mountains

Sorry I haven't posted for a while. I've been a bit busy lately - finishing the quarter, doing finals, finishing my senior thesis. You know, just little stuff like that. And I've also been working a bit.

I did manage to get out a couple of times. Recently, I made a sunrise visit to Magnuson Park. For the first time, I used my macro lens to take pictures of a sunrise. This one is my best, I think, because it has the simplest composition. I guess "simple" is a bit of a loaded term; but the picture has the clearest subject, fewest distracting elements, etc. Just a basic silhouette of grass against a sunrise:



The lupine were also full bloom in Magnuson Park (the place is a mosaic of flowers and grasses right now; in my next post I'll show the pictures of daisies and grass I took in a more recent trip). Here is a lupine plant catching the first light of day. Lighting like this only comes for a few minutes at best:


Most wild lupine, at least around here, seem to be purplish-bluish, but there were a few at the park that were white, and one plant that had this interesting color scheme:



The plants above were clean, but some plants were absolutely covered with aphids. My dad says that there is a specific variety of aphid that specializes in feasting on lupines, and I believe it. If you look closely at the lupine in the next picture, you'll see what I mean (the yellow flowers in the background are Scotch broom):


Finally, the clover flowers are finally coming out. They are pretty ubiquitous, but I think they have a certain beauty to them, especially the pink ones.



Here are a few other random ones that I took, mostly involving grass.



And then this shot, with grass and Mount Rainier. I tried out two focusing schemes, one with the background (i.e. the mountain) in focus, and one with the foreground (i.e. the grass, or some of it) in focus.



This is getting a bit lengthy; my apologies. I also went, at the end of May, to the Arboretum with my family. Most of my pictures didn't really turn out, but I got an interesting picture of the hanging wisteria, which they grow by the visitor center and was looking very nice:

No comments: