Monday, June 13, 2011

Variations on a Theme of Grass

I recently went to Magnuson Park again, this time in the afternoon. Paritially I was motivated by some interesting clouds I saw off to east, and partially because I knew the grasses and wildflowers would be in full bloom. Indeed they were - unfortunately, I forgot how bad my grass allergies can get, so I was sneezing compulsively almost the whole time I was at the park. I must have been quite the spectacle. (Interestingly, I don't seem to have much of a problem with flowers; only grasses and some weeds, so my allergies are only bad in the early summer).

Anyway, here are the best of the grass pictures. It wasn't very breezy that evening, which was good for taking pictures of grass and flowers.






Additionally, I took some pictures of the daisies and vetch that are blooming. Flowers like daisies are hard to photograph because they are somewhat complex in structure. To illustrate by way of contrast, vetch flowers are fairly two-dimensional; it's easy to pick a point to focus on. But daisies are more three-dimensional. I don't know the names of the parts of the flowers; but which part of the yellow middle of the flower, and which petals, should be in focus? It's hard to judge, especially while in the field, which part will look better in focus. and after that, it's hard to get it right. In this case, I think I generally tried to get the middle of the yellow part in focus.




No comments: