Sunday, March 18, 2012

Boiling Skies

The sky yesterday evening was amazing! I was actually headed to the Arboretum to take pictures of some early blossoms, but I saw the skies exploding overhead and changed course to Discovery Park. Following are the pictures that I thought best evoked the sky's grandeur (these ones taken with my old/normal 18-200mm lens).


Wow!

Now, I suppose you're wondering where the pictures are from the new lens that I've been screaming about. The short answer is: there aren't very many that are blog worthy, because there are a lot of things I have to get used to. Below are the major challenges that I didn't have with my normal lens:

- Things getting smaller. This is probably the biggest one. Subjects (such as the clouds last night) that I could make a reasonable size in my normal lens end up looking very small at my new lens' extreme focal lengths. If something is close enough to the lens - and big enough on its own - I can make it look even bigger compared to the background, but a lot of things look small. A related issue is that the field of view is so wide that the frame includes objects that wouldn't have gotten in to my old lens's pictures. I will be able to make best use of this lens in situations where there are large, attractive subjects (e.g. flowers) and a dearth of buildings and ugly stuff anywhere nearby to get in the frame.

-Unequal polarization. I already had this to deal with when using my normal lens, and this problem only increases with the new lens. Basically, in a wide-angle shot the polarizing filter polarizes areas of the sky differently, which looks a bit weird.

-Vignetting. My filter holder - the one I use for my graduated-ND filter - actually shows up in the sides of the frame at 10mm.

-Distortion with the close up filters. The edges get super distorted, so it looks like the close up filters will be special-occasion filters rather than all-the-time filters. Oh well, at least they were pretty inexpensive.

Here are the three most promising shots. Try to imagine the foreground as being very green with large flowers, rather than looking like the middle of a very wet and cold March.



No comments: