Monday, March 12, 2012

Fully armed and operational!

I am now the owner of a 10-20mm Sigma ultra-wide-angle lens!

It's pouring down rain and a bit breezy as well, so I obviously haven't been outside playing with it. But here is a little unscientific demonstration. Both of these pictures were taken from the same position on my couch; the first at 18mm on my normal 18-200mm lens (its widest focal length), the next at 10mm on my new lens. Check out the difference!




What a difference! The minimum focusing distance is also closer, which will make a big difference in the field. Also, check out how the built-in flash creates a shadow. Careful! I obviously won't be using that in the field; I'll use my attachable flash or, more often, none at all.

In addition to the lens, I bought:
-A polarizing filter and set of close-up filters for the new lens
-Lens caps to replace the ones I've lost
-A filter pouch to replace a number of aging filter cases; the pouch can attach to my belt for quick access!

I am thinking about buying a new tripod, because the one I use now is starting (more like continuing) to fall apart. It's still functional, though, and I'm leery of spending more money. But I found a nice one that's a bit lighter than mine and scrunches down to a shorter minimum height than mine, while still getting up past 6ft (a non-negotiable). We'll see.

No comments: