Friday, May 18, 2012

Lupine and other fun things

This first one was the best of the morning. The lighting is good, the depth of field is good, and I like the composition. The few light clouds hanging around in the sky actually helped to soften the sunlight a bit and make it more attractive on the flowers:


This next one catches a large-leaved lupine as it is beginning to show color.


A couple more lupine pictures. The second of this pair is not really proportioned very well - too much dead space on the right side. Any cropping, though, would risk intruding into the flowers themselves. Also, even at f/3.3, which was the widest my lens would let me go, there's still an inordinate amount of background clutter. Perhaps a compositional idea to try again with a different flower and different conditions.



This next one is of a thimbleberry flower. There are quite a few of these blooming around Magnuson Park right now. With the clouds ambling by, it took me a bit of patience to get the lighting just so - sunny but not too sunny. If I edited this, I would make the darkest background shadows a bit lighter.


Now a little hodgepodge of non-flower-closeups that I took. The first is of the sunrise; the trees at the bottom were very flowery, and it looks like there's still a bit of definition in them. I might try to edit this and bring them out a bit.


A Douglas Fir with new branch tips:


And a couple back/side-lit grass shots. They're a bit contrasty, and the second one could have used a slightly narrower depth of field. I still like them, though.



No comments: