Thursday, May 03, 2012

Orchard Fun

In Carkeek Park, the bleeding heart flowers are still blooming but starting to move downhill; same with the elderberry bushes and other forest flowers. Piper's Orchard, however, is at or near its peak. I chanced to be there yesterday morning.

This first one might be my favorite composition of the morning. I used my wide-angle lens, zoomed out all the way, for the exaggerated perspective. Using a wide angle also helps produce the star effect that you see on the sun:


The next one is basically the same shot, except moved to the right a bit to exclude the sun. The lens flared a bit, but thankfully far enough to the side that I was able to crop it off without losing anything crucial to the image.


The next is another shot of the orchard; it took me a lot of tries to get the trees exactly positioned the way I wanted them whilst excluding any obviously "man-made" objects from the shot. Not too long ago, I would have shot this with a narrow depth of field. But I think using a wide depth of field (f/20 in this case) adds a more vivid feeling of "depth."


Finally, a couple flower shots that turned out well. No interesting stories here:



There are a couple pictures that I liked compositionally but will need to be rehabilitated lighting-wise (one was also a bit tipped). I will be tinkering with their RAW files this week and will post any fantastic results I might happen to have.

No comments: