Saturday, May 19, 2012

Round 2

So I returned to Magnuson Park this morning to finish a few of the things I had started on Thursday.  Last week, I mentioned that I was taking a break from super-long photo trips for financial reasons. This decision, I realized, will also be good for my craft. Going on long trips can connect you with some phenomenal subject matter, to be sure. But when you make trips close to home, you have the luxury of being able to return to familiar and almost identical subject matter on successive trips (i.e. within days); thus, you can afford to take some creative liberties. If a picture doesn't turn out, the lost time isn't as painful. Also, the fact that the location is familiar allows you to focus your work rather than trying to take in everything at once. Finally, while in a nearby park you can make note of future shots to try, either in a few days or in a few weeks.

For instance, here is one of lupine buds. I think this is more successful than the one I took earlier this week. There is an intruding leaf bit on the right side, but otherwise I like the composition.


And here is a close-up of lupine flowers. I didn't try anything nearly this adventurous with the lupines on Thursday. I actually really like this one.


I also made a couple of new friends. I had scoped them out on Thursday, so I knew where to find them today. This might be common salsify:


I really liked the lighting on this one.


And these two are Nootka rose flowers. These compositions aren't the best (backgrounds are a bit busy), but they're a good start. The more I photograph this type of flower, the closer I'll get to that perfect composition.



Finally, a couple grass pictures. The close-up (second picture) is one of the better grass close-ups I have taken.



No comments: